Washington State Women's Golf Association
Mrs. T.L. Lynch, Yakima GCC
Mrs. E.A. Wheeler, Earlington GC
Mrs. Elizabeth Curran, Tacoma GC
Mrs. Jesse Mills, Olympia GCC
Mrs. Charles Lund, Spokane GCC
WSWGA Fall Meeting Minutes
Saturday, October 5, 2013 at Everett Golf & Country Club
1. Dee Hanich, President, Everett, called the meeting to order at 10:10am at Everett Golf & Country Club and the head table was introduced:
Vice-President – Beth Chew (Fircrest)
Treasurer – Sarah Michelson (Walla Walla)
Acting Recording Secretary – Beth Chew (Fircrest)
Executive Secretary – Jane Harris (Rainier)
Past President – Cindy Stewart (Yakima)
2. Trustee Roll Call: The Trustees introduced themselves. Excused were Mill Creek, Longview, Linden, and Royal Oaks.
3. Minutes from the meeting of July 23, 2013 were presented. A motion was made and seconded to approve the minutes. The motion carried. They are located online at www.thewswga.com.
4. President’s Report: Dee Hanich reported that the planning for the 2014 Championship Tournament is well under way. The theme is “Majestic Firs.” The logo is in place, committees are assigned, and everything is on track.
5. 2013 Senior Tournament Wrap-up: Joanie Hannah reported that the tournament went very well, although her committee did spend quite a bit of money over and above the entry fees. They had extra money from a prior state tournament and used it. The entry fee was $160 and covered only the food costs (snacks, breakfast, lunch, drinks). The limited field of 104 required by the club resulted in less revenue. They spent a total of $25,000. There was discussion regarding the steady increase in the entry fee, and escalating food costs. Whether the fee is sufficient, or extra revenue is needed, is dependent on how lavish the host club wishes to be.
A motion was made and seconded to set a minimum entry fee for the Senior Tournament at $150 and be allowed up to $200, with approval by the Board each year. It was noted that the Board does currently review and approve the entry fee pursuant to the Rules of Competition for the tournament. The By-Laws, Article II, Section 4 also provides that “The board of trustees shall determine . . . the entrance fee required.” The motion failed.
Tacoma hosts the Senior Tournament in 2014. The rep will present their proposal to the Board at a later date. At the time of the meeting, the Tacoma date was September 15 and 16, 2014, conflicting with a PNGA event. However after the meeting it was reported that the date had been officially moved to September 8 and 9, 2014.
There was discussion regarding Broadmoor’s limitation of the field to 104 versus the 128 allowed by the Rules of Competition. The limitation ended up disenfranchising older players with higher handicap indexes. There was discussion regarding whether this will be continuing problem, or just a problem for tournaments hosted by the more popular clubs. Ideas included establishing a super senior division within the field, and raising the age to 55. The bottom line was that the identity of the host club has a huge impact on the size of the applicant field.
6. Jane Harris gave the Executive Secretary Report:
Elizabeth Dwan Trophy – Mill Creek
Match v. Par Competition – Fairwood
All State Medal
Div. 1 – Katie Kitner - Everett
Div. 2 – Carol Zukerman - Rainier
Div. 3 – Terri Lewis - Rainier
Div. 4 – Carol Hampton - Lakeview
The tournament schedule is as follows:
Championship: July 21-25, 2014 – Everett; 2015 – Fircrest; 2016 – Sahalee; 2017 – Inglewood; 2018 – Olympia; 2019 – Royal Oaks; 2020 – Canterwood.
Senior Championship: 2014 – Tacoma; 2015 – Meridian Valley; 2016 – Rainier; 2017 – Wenatchee; 2018 – Longview; 2019 – Useless Bay; 2020 – Mill Creek.
It was requested that all clubs who host special events and invitationals, please send in the dates for 2014 for the WSWGA master calendar.
7. Treasurer’s Report: Sarah Michelson presented the 2013 Statement of Income & Expenses. It was accepted for filing.
8. Old Business: At the 2013 summer meeting, a proposal was made to compensate the Treasurer. Jane Harris presented detailed hourly accountings comparing the activities of the Executive Secretary with those of the Treasurer. This indicated that the Secretary spends about 100 hours. The Treasurer spends about 30 hours. A motion was made and seconded that the Treasurer be compensated $300 per year. It was discussed that with the statewide nature of the Association, the treasure’s position should be more stable, and not rotate amongst members too often, and that allowing some compensation would assist in this happening. There was discussion regarding the fact that this is a volunteer organization, but also the need for continuity regarding the finances and bank account. The motion was approved.
Beth Chew will investigate whether an amendment to our Constitution is required. (Please Note: Article IX, Section 3 of the Constitution provides that “The board of trustees shall employ a qualified person to act as executive secretary of the association.” Since there is nothing specifically mentioned regarding payment of the executive secretary, no amendment will be proposed regarding compensation for the treasurer.)
9. Selection of New Executive Secretary: Jane Harris announced at the summer meeting that she will have served two four year terms as executive secretary, and there was need for a new Executive Secretary to be elected at the fall/winter meeting pursuant to the Constitution, Article IX, Section 3. Two alternatives were presented to the Board. Jane presented a plan for the distribution of the Executive Secretary’s duties amongst the officers of the association as an alternative to having an Executive Secretary. Beth Chew also offered to run for the position of Executive Secretary, if the organization chose to continue with the Executive Secretary form of governance. There was considerable discussion about the pros and cons of the centralized needs of a statewide organization versus the spreading out of duties amongst officers. A motion to nominate Beth Chew for the position of Executive Secretary was made and seconded. The motion was approved. Jane Harris has graciously agreed to continue to update the WSWGA website. Ann Swanson thanked Jane and there was applause all around
10. Ann Swanson announced that that the 90 year book, researched, written, and published for the 90th Annual WSWGA Championship Tournament in 2012 has been recognized by the USGA with a very enthusiastic letter, and that the book will be placed in the USGA Museum. The letter will be posted on the website.
11. Closing Comments from Jane Harris: Jane spoke about her tenure as Executive Secretary and some of the important events during that time. She and the Board modified the dues and State Monthly Medal collection; there was a terrible recession that forced clubs to leave the organization; Twin Lakes jumped into a void in 2011 to host the Championship on short notice; the Web Site was birthed; there was revamping of scoring and flighting through a new computer program for the Championship; and the WSWGA had its 90th aniversary. Ann Swanson’s speech from the tournament is posted on the website. There were KUDOs to Jane all around, and many thanks for her organized and excellent leadership over her eight year tenure.
The meeting was adjourned at 12:15pm.
Beth Jensen Chew
Acting Recording Secretary
WSWGA Summer Meeting Minutes
Tuesday July 23, 2013
Yakima Golf and CC
The Meeting was called to order by President Cindi Stewart at 7:15 pm Tuesday July 23, 2013
Attendance was taken and a motion to dispense with the reading of the minutes from October 6th 2012 was seconded and approved.
CIndi Stewart gave a report on the Championship. The only concerns were the professional staff calling for the one ball rule to be in effect as that is not a WSWGA rule and the 3 day cart pre-payment in the example of the players with byes. Suggestions were given to solve this problem for future events. Cindi reminded the players to tip the pro shop and bag staff for their hard work. It was questioned and discussed about the concerns as to why the 8th flight had both Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon tee times when it is traditional to alternate all flights with the expectation of the championship flight.
Broadmoor Trustee Joannie Hannah announced the entries for the Senior Championship will be accepted after Aug 5th. Joannie shared the entry procedures and hotel accommodations.
Executive Secretary Jane Harris announced Mill Creek as the Elizabeth Dwan winner and Fairwood as the winner of the Math vs. Par. An announcement was made as to the date and time of the Annual Fall Trustees’ Meeting – October 5, 2013 10 AM Everett GCC
WSWGA Treasurer Sarah Michelson reported the income at 13,355.43 with expenses at 6,229.06.
The ledger balance as of 7/19/13 is 7,126.37. This year the WSWGA purchased 128 gold plated charms for the Championship Contestants from Frederick’s Jewelry in Moses Lake for $23.00 each. 100 charms were engraved for this year’s championship leaving 28 extra for next year. I t has become practice to order additional charms as gold prices flex.
Under New Business Dee Hanich and Beth Chew were elected President and Vice President for 2014.
President Elect Dee Hanich announced that the 2014 Championship will be held July 21 – 25, 2014 with the theme “Majestic Firs”.
Executive Secretary Jane Harris brought to the attention of the trustees that the position of executive secretary is open as her term of eight years has come to a close. Any trustee who is interested in running for the position should contact Jane before the October 5th meeting.
Executive Secretary Jane Harris brought up the issue of paying the treasurer a stipend for the position. The trustees asked for a proposal to be brought to the Fall Meeting.
Closing remarks were made by Cindi Stewart and Jane Harris and the meeting adjourned at 7:35 pm.
WSWGA Fall Meeting Minutes
Saturday October 06, 2012 at YGCC
1. Cindi Stewart: Meeting called to order at 11:05 am at the Yakima Golf & Country Club and the head table was introduced:
Vice President – Dee Hanich (Everett)
Treasurer & Recording Secretary-
Sarah Michelson (Walla Walla
Executive Secretary – Jane Harris (Rainier)
Past President – Ann Swanson (Sand Point)
2. Jane Harris: Trustee Roll Call: Rita Keough, Joannie Hannah, Eleanor Devlin, Sally Irvine, Mary O’Donnell, Pat Terry, Beth Chew, Kristi Helmerson, Jennie Stephens, Kim Anthony, Jean Mills, Donna Clark, Linda Selegue, Nancy Eglin, Sarah Michelson, Ann Swanson, Cindi Stewart
3. Cindi Stewart: Minutes from July 2012 Trustee Meeting were accepted as written.
4. Cindi Stewart: President’s Report: Cindi provided an update on preparations for 2013 championship tournament at YCC including correction of dates to last full week of July. Proposed reciprocal arrangements for club members who are displaced by the tournament (e.g. past and future clubs participating). Also suggested the possibility of pro-shop credit instead of actual awards. Discussion ensued with pros and cons presented including problem of “shopping under pressure” and pro-shops with limited inventory. Some like the uniqueness of awards. Suggestion that some of the credit could be applied at the host club and the remainder at home club. Would need the host club increase inventory including non-logo items. Possibility of combination of a small memento and a gift card at a vendor (e.g. Nike, Callaway). Some really like prizes.
A brief discussion ensued including clubs’ experiences and ideas as to how clubs have raised money and prepare for hosting the tournament.
Proposal made that the trustee dinner held during the tournament be eliminated. Many trustees indicated that they like the dinner and it is a “reward” for the work they do as trustee. A motion was made, seconded, and approved to continue to have a Tuesday night trustee dinner during the championship tournament.
5. Mary O’Donnell: 2012 Senior Tournament Wrap-up: See attached summary provided by Mary. The later start on Monday was very much appreciated by the participants and the grounds crew. The WSWGA donation was given to the proshop as a tip for services and support during the tournament. A motion was made, seconded and approved to increase the WSWGA donation to the senior championship to $500. It was mentioned that had the entry fee been increased by $12 then the fee would have covered the cost of the tournament and not resulted in the $1300 deficit that the host club covered. Section IV Article 2 of the By-Laws was reviewed. The trustee will send the proposed entry fee to the board for approval.
6. Ann Swanson: Past President Report: A summary of the 2012 championship tournament was given. See attached summary provided by Ann. Ann made several recommendations for future tournaments.
1) Retain the services of Liz Falkner to manage the computation of the initial posting of match play flights, 2) Trustees need to communicate with their members who are new to the tournament as to the tournaments traditions, expectations, etc. A brief discussion regarding dress code ensued. It was agreed that numerous opportunities are available to reinforce dress code including a statement on the entry forms that are signed by participants, reminder signs at the registration desk, trustees taking responsibility for enforcement before and during the tournament, and concluding with disqualification at the first tee of noncompliant participants.
7. Jane Harris: Executive Secretary Report:
Championship: Yakima, Everett, Fircrest, Sahalee, Inglewood, Olympia, Royal Oaks, Canterwood Jane expressed concern that trustees associated with some of these clubs do not participate in trustee events and possibly not up-to-date.
Senior Championship: Broadmoor, Tacoma, Meridian Valley, Rainier, Wenatchee, Longview, Useless Bay, Mill Creek
8. Sarah Michelson: Treasurer’s Report: The budget as of 9/30/12 was presented.
9. Jane Harris: Old Business:
WSWGA By-Laws – proposed revisions were reviewed and grammar modified with input and motions were made, seconded, and approved for the following actions:
Strike Section 3 Item 4
Adopt other changes as discussed
Constitution – proposed revisions were reviewed and grammar modified with input and motions were made, seconded, and approved to adopt all changes to the Constitution as discussed.
10. Jane Harris: New Business:
11. Cindi Stewart: Closing comments and Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned
at 2:50 pm.
WSWGA Trustees Meeting
Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Sand Point Country Club
The WSWGA Summer Trustee meeting was called to order by Ann Swanson, President.
Ann introduced the Head table: Merrily Pettibone, Treasurer, Jane Harris, Treasurer, Cindi Stewart, Vice President, Pam Cobb Tournament Chairman and Rita Keogh, Immediate Past President.
Introduction and roll call of the Trustees.
MSP to dispense with the reading and approve the Fall Meeting minutes of October 8, 2011.
Ann Swanson thanked the women who are serving as Trustees for their work citing that “Trustees are the engine of the WSWGA”. She recognized the Sand Point tournament committee, Jane Harris and Pam Cobb for their hard work and related that the tournament had honored Edean Ihlanfeldt, Liz Culver, Pat Harbottle and Lisa Newman. Junior golfers had marched the association club members flags onto the green as part of the Pairing Party entertainment on Monday evening.
Ann then thanked Merrily Pettibone for her years of service.
Mary O’Donnell, Overlake was prompted and then remembered that Overlake would be hosting a “Senior Moment” the WSWGA Senior Championship September 10th and11th. There is the age requirement of 50 years and entries may be mailed August 13th.
Executive Secretary’s Report:
Jane Harris thanked Sand Point for hosting the Championship, the Tournament committee for their hard work and presented Ann Swanson and Pam Cobb with “dammit dolls”.
Merrily Pettibone received the associations thanks for her many years of work as treasurer of the Association. A final Treasurer’s report with be sent out.
Sarah Michelson, Walla Walla was introduced.
MSP to elect Sarah Michelson as the new WSWGA Treasurer.
Jane announced WSWGA award
Elizabeth Dwan – Glendale
Match vs. Par – Walla Walla
All State to be announced at the Fall meeting.
Ann Swanson presented the President’s pin to Cindi Stewart, Yakima. Cindi then announced October 6th 2012, 11 am. Yakima Country Club as the Fall meeting date.
The WSWGA State Championship will be held at Yakima, July 28 – August 1.
A constitution, rules of competition, and by-laws Revision Packet was handed out for Trustee consideration and will be voted upon at the October 6th Fall Meeting in Yakima.
The meeting was adjourned by President, Ann Swanson.
Pam Cobb, Acting Secretary, Sand Point
WSWGA Fall Meeting
Saturday, October 8, 2011
Sand Point Country Club
(*MSP= Motion Seconded and Approved)
Call to Order: Ann Swanson President
Introduction of the Head Table: President Ann Swanson, Sand Point; Executive Secretary Jane Harris; Rainier, Vice President Cindy Stewart, Yakima; Past President Rita Keough Twin Lakes; Acting Secretary Pam Cobb, Sand Point
Roll Call: Conducted by Jane Harris
Reading of the July 26, 2011 meeting minutes.
MSP to dispense with the reading of the summer meeting minutes.
MSP to approve the July 26th summer meeting minutes.
Executive Secretary, Jane Harris reported:
Winner of the Elizabeth Dwan Trophy : Glendale
Winner of the Match vs. Par: Inglewood
All State Medal (4 divisions)
1st division Connie Donahoe, Bear Creek
2nd division Sonia Olson, MVCC
3rd division Sherre Shewey, Bear Creek
4th division Flo Holm, Yakima Elks
With regrets Clarkson G&CC has resigned from the WSWGAas of October, 2011
Treasurers report will be sent as Merrily Pettibone was unable to attend. WSWGA dues are to be forwarded to her.
Past President, Rita Keough reported on the Twin Lakes 2011 championship tournament. A field of 96. With many new staff members, the club and members pulled together for a wonderful tournament that was enjoyed by all. Rita turned over the notebook to Sand Point.
2011 Senior Tournament Report: MaryAnn Diridon passed out pictures, placemats and a net and gross winners list. More money was spent than was reflected in the entrance fee but that was the plan of Wing Point as they havent hosted in a long time and wanted to make the tournament special. MaryAnn suggested that a determination be made regarding the tournaments name either Senior or Seniors and that rules officials should be place in areas of trouble to speed up play. The use of a shorten rules card such as was used by team was also suggested. Also suggested was the need review the bylaws so the host club has the prerogative to change the number of contestants, the entry fee, and date if needed.
2012 Senior Tournament will be hosted by Overlake G&CC on September 10th and 11th. "Senior Moments has been chosen as the theme.
Sand Point CC will host 2012 State Championship on July 30th thru August 3rd. Theme: 90 Years of Championship Golf..The grand tradition The field will be limited to 96 so all players are urged to send in applications as soon as the rules permit.
Jane discussed the need for a guideline for the problem of ties and seeding within the championship flight and presented a draft to be discussed and edited.
Championship Qualifying Ties and Seeding Guideline:
After completion of qualifying stroke play the playoff will resume on the 1st tee. The order of play will be determined by drawing numbers; the player who teed off first in the qualifying round with draw first, etc. The winner(s) of the playoff will be determined by the lowest score or scores in a multiple player playoff. As the winners are established, they will be seeded in the championship flight by playoff scores and then by index. In a case where the players have the same index, they will be seeded by matching cards of their qualifying round per U.S.G.A. rule recommendation.
MSP to email the Championship Qualifying Ties and Seeding Guideline amendment to Trustees for approval and that the voting shall be completed by November 30, 2011.
This amendment will need to be included in the Championship Tournaments Rules section of the WSWGA by-laws.
The need for further bylaw review was discussed further. The latest revision seems to be 2003. Perhaps policies and procedures are also needed.
MSP to appoint a committee to review the bylaws and present proposals for changes or additions.
**Bylaw Review Committee: Porsche Everson, Glendale; Beth Chew, Fircrest;Jane Harris, Executive Secretary
Linda Selegue, MVCC asked for input regarding setting the 2015 Senior Tournament date. More and more clubs are treating these member tournaments as outside Tournaments and charging higher costs. It was suggested we make a concerted and continual effort to educate our boards to the history and importance of our organization. It was suggested that Jane check into the Golf Washington Alliance. After discussion, Linda will pursue the dates of Aug. 31st & 1st then Sept. 17th & 18th 2015
It was asked that the Hosts for our tournaments prepare two tournament notebooks to pass on to the future host and the following year host.
Discussion followed regarding the use of handicaps (strokes) in the lower championship flights. The issue was tabled until more member comments can be solicited.
Kim Anthony, Glendale discussed using the USGA rule when using different handicaps during monthly medal.
The meeting was adjourned.
Pam Cobb, Acting Secretary
Minutes of the SUMMER MEETING of the WSWGA
Tuesday, July 26th, 2011 Twin Lakes G&CC
Rita Keough Call to Order: Introduction of head table.
President Rita Keough (Twin Lakes)
Vice President Ann Swanson (Sand Point)
Treasurer Merrily Pettibone (Fairwood)
Executive Secretary Jane Harris (Rainier)
Past President Jennie Stephens (Skagit)
Recording Secretary Beth Coats (Twin Lakes)
1. Jane held a roll call of those present and introduced Ann Swanson as our new Vice President.
2. Rita The Oct. minutes reading was deferred moved by MaryAnn Diridon, 2nd and passed by all present. They are available online @ thewswga.com.
3. Presidents Report 2011 State Tournament Rita told of stepping up with Vim and Vigor in 2008 only to be met with economic upheaval. Even then the Board gave great support. Frankie Stephens accepted the responsibility of being the Tournament Chair and started forming committees. Rita explained the many changes in the club, from new management in both the Pro Shop and the Club House, to changes in our food and beverage departments. Each new challenge was overcome and got in the groove, even making menu dishes to honor past winners. We acknowledged the work of the Greens Superintendent and the delicious work of Chef Mariano. Applause for a tournament well done rocked the hall.
4, MaryAnn Diridon 2011 Senior Tournament Update
Wing Point will host this tournament Sept. 12th thru 15th 2011 on the beautiful island of Bainbridge. Hop On Board is the theme celebrating the ferries and the 75th anniversary of Monopoly, We were encouraged to make accomodation reservations early. MaryAnn thanked both Sahalie and Fircrest for their invaluable notebooks about the details of running this Tournament. Space to park cart trailers was offered by MaryAnn at her home. There is no accomodation at Wing Point.
4. JaneExecutive Sec. Report:
. Elizabeth Dwan Winner Glendale
. Match vs. Par Winner Inglewood
Tournament Schedule Update There are some conflicts due to some clubs participating in SWGA EVENTS as well as WSWGA ones. For instance, Seattle is hosting City in 2023 and State in 2021. Glendale has State in 2025 and City in 2027. Rainier has both in 2032. There is some work to be done in reposing the dates.
Club cooperation has been excellent.
A handout of the Washington State Womens Golf Association Rules of Competition, pg 3 was used to demonstrate how championship flights are determined and seeding established.
Preceding the Fall meeting at Sand Point, please exchange ideas as how to make brackets more equitable to handicaps and index involving match play and rules like, first in the cup wins in playoffs.
5. Merrily: 2011 Treasures Report Deferred. Handout attached.
6. Rita: Old Business None.
7. Rita: New Business Rita shared the article in the Seattle Times about Sharon Drummy shooting low gross on qualifying Monday.
Merrily Pettibone brought up the idea of using handicap strokes in State competitions the same as City does. Further discussion and decision was put off until the Fall meeting.
9. Sharon Drummey was presented the Low Gross Award trophy to be held at Rainier for one year.
8. Jane: Thank yous were expressed to Twin Lakes, Rita Keough, and Frankie Stephens and all of this years committee chairs for a great week so far!
Beth Coats, Acting Recording Secretary
Washington State Womens Golf Association
Annual Fall Trustees Meeting
October 9th 2010
Twin Lakes Golf and Country Club
CALL TO ORDER: Executive Secretary, Jane
Harris, called the meeting to order at 12:45pm.
APPRECIATION: A warm welcome was extended to all of the Trustees present and Rita Keough introduced the Head Table,
Executive Secretary Jane Harris (Rainier)
Past President Jenny Stephens (Skagit)
President Rita Keough (Twin Lakes)
Recording Secretary Beth Coats (Twin Lakes)
Vice President Pat Thirdly (Sand point) subbing for Ann Swanson.
Those present introduced themselves and the clubs they represented. Jane Harris welcomed new Trustees: Sally Irvine (Ranier) Kristi Hemersen (Fairwood), JoAnn Osborn (Olympia),
Ellen Hedglin( Canterwood)
President Rita Keough put into nomination for Vice President 2010
Ann Swanson (Sand Point) Ann was elected unanimously.
The reading of minutes for the Summer Trustees meeting, July 26th, were moved by Beth Chew and 2nd by Susie Arkell to be deferred and accepted as is. All were in favor.
Rita gave a detailed report on the WSWGA tournament to be held at Twin Lakes in July 2011. Being funded was music to everyones ears. With the theme A Little Bit of Heaven the tournament is scheduled July 25th through July 29th . The website used at Skagit will be implemented and available in April.
Executive Secretarys Report: Jane Harris reported that Ellensburgh GC is resigning from the WSWGA. A letter of resignation was read from Ellensburgh G&CC sighting
dwindling participation and numbers leading to no longer meeting the requirements of the WSWGA.
Jane will be working with Jennie Stephens to develop a template of hosting outlines for clubs to use when sponsoring state events.
Presentation of the Elizabeth Dwan trophy to Inglewood.
Match vs. Par to Glendale.
All State Medal (4 winners):Rogani Higgins (Kitsap), Mary Jo Tharp (Kitsap), Lois Simonson (Broadmoor), Glenda Kelly (Lakeview)
TREASURERS REPORT Jane reported for Merrily that there was approximately $6,065 as of Oct.6th. A Thank you to all of the clubs who paid their dues early.
Jane presented one of the beautiful trophy stands made by Steve Pettibone. He received a hearty applause of thanks from those present.
PAST PRESIDENTS REPORT: Jenny Stephens reported a very successful tournament wherein the players made all of the hard work by staff and volunteers evolve into much fun and pride for Skagit G&CC members. Their budget started at $15K. The website was critical in their ability to keep it all on track.
2010 SENIOR TOURNAMENT REPORT: Beth Chew (Fircrest)
Beth reported this tournament was organized by age making a wide variety of handicaps in each age group. The use of EXCEL made the mechanics of the event much easier to handle. A full report was
given to each of the trustees.
OLD BUSINESS: Rita had no old business to report.
TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE FOR 2011:
Championship Tournament Twin Lakes
July 25th - July 29th.
Senior Championship Wing Point
Sept. 12th and 13th.
After this meeting, the 2011 tournament schedule will be uploaded to the WSWGA website along with the minutes from this meeting.
NEW BUSINESS: There was no new business to report.
There being no further business to conduct, Jane Harris thanked Twin Lakes and Rita Keough for hosting our luncheon and meeting and ADJOURNED the gathering of the WSWGA board of trustees.
Beth Coats, Acting Recording Secretary TLG&CC
Womens Golf Association
Annual Summer Trustees Meeting
July 27, 2010
Held at Skagit Golf & Country Club
CALL TO ORDER: Executive Secretary, Jane Harris, called the meeting to order at 7:40 p.m.
APPRECIATION: Jane Harris extended a warm welcome to all of the Trustees present.
President, Jennie Stephens, introduced persons sitting at the head table. They included:
Tournament Co-Chair: Laurie McNett
Vice President: Rita Keough, Fairwood
Executive Secretary, Jane Harris, Rainier
Acting Recording Secretary, Leslie Folsom, Rainier
Treasurer, Merrily Pettibone
TRUSTEES PRESENT: Please refer to Treasurers records for banquet dinner.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES: The minutes from the Annual Fall Meeting, held on October 2009, was approved as submitted.
Comments from Tournament Chair: Laurie McNett expressed her pleasure with the tournament so far and said it appeared that all contestants were enjoying the event. Laurie made specific comments to the players expressing their thanks to the volunteers and how special the volunteers felt! Laurie closed with letting the trustees know that the final match will be blogged live on wswga2010.squarespace.com.
Comments from Beth Chew: Fircrest will be hosting the 2011 Senior Championship Casino Royale September 13 & 14. There will be practice rounds available for this event. Beth will be sending hotel information very soon. Entries will be accepted beginning August 9, 2010. Each trustee was given entry forms.
Comments from Rita Keough: Rita gave the trustees an update on the 2011 championship to be held at Twin Lakes. The theme will be a little bit of heaven. The event is scheduled for the last full week of July in 2011. She will have hotel information to trustees soon.Rita shared thattheTwin Lakes Championship Committee secured a grant from the City of Federal Way for hosting the event as the Championship will be brining many folks from around the state spending money in Federal Way!
Updates on Championships 2011- 2017: Trustees provided information as to where in the process their clubs were in terms of organizing for their hosting year.
Championship: 2012(Sandpoint), 2013( Yakima), 2014( Everett), 2015( Fircrest)
Seniors: 2011( Wing Point), 2012(Overlake), 2013(Broadmoor), 2014(Tacoma),
2015( Meridian Valley), 2016( Rainier), 2017(Wenatchee)
Discussion: Past Presidents discussed with future Presidents ideas for fund raising. Ideas included auctions, putting contests, purchasing bank CDs, cookbook sales, garage sales, private donations, etc.
Executive Secretarys Report:
Thank you to Mr. Pettibone for designing and making display stands for our trophies!
He has completed the display stands for the Elizabeth Dwan, Match vs. Par, and Paula Nelson trophies/trays/tea service! With his work we are able to keep these historical pieces for at least another 30 years!
Annual Fall Meeting does not have a date set but we hope to have the meeting in early October at Twin Lakes.
BUDGET: Merrily Pettibone provided the trustees with a budget report and receipt for the 2011 dues/monthly medals. She asked that trustees send her their club dues for the 2011 season prior to the Annual Fall Meeting. As of July 27, 2010 the balance of funds is $ 4806.62
ELECTION of OFFICERS: The following officer was unanimously elected for a one-year term
2010- 2011PRESIDENT: Rita Keough from Twin Lakes Golf & Country Club
Trustees will vote on the Vice President at the Annual Fall meeting
ADJOURNMENT: The meeting was adjourned at 8:40 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by,
Leslie Folsom (Rainier G&CC)
WSWGA FALL TRUSTEES'
OCTOBER 17, 2009
Meeting was called to order at 9:45 am by President Jennie Stephens.
Introductions for the head table recognized Jane Harris Executive Secretary, Barbara Lindahl, Past President, Rita Keough, Vice President, Merrily Pettibone, Treasurer,Leslie Folsom, Acting Recording Secretary, and Jennie Stephens, President.
Moved to accept Meeting Minutes from July 2009
Jennie Stephens clarified that the minutes incorrectly titled the 2010 State Championship Skagit.Where Eagles Soar should read Skagit . Where Eagles Dare"
Minutes were moved and accepted with corrections.
Jennie Stephens introduced Laurie McNett the Tournament Chair for 2010, Tin McNeely, Club Manager. Jennie commented that the Skagit GCC members are eagerly awaiting a chance to host the event. The course has a new superintendent, Steve L., who is doing aerification the course for the first time in many years. Jennie and Laurie provided the trustees with a hotel information packet.
Jennie Reminded the trustees that Skagit has a limited driving range and the tournament committee is working with Avalon GC for driving range use during the tournament. There are hotels close to Avalon and tickets for Avalon range will be in the players packet. Also, due to the success of the championship website, this will continue to be a part of the championship in 2010. The committee is also working on the Championship logo.
Executive Secretary Report
This year there has been an increase in home course competition participation.
All the results are located on the WWW.thewswga.com
Champions through 2015 are confirmed, the future schedule is also on the association website. Thank you again to Useless Bay and Yakima for hosting this years championships, and thank you To all the volunteers who helped to make the tournaments a success.
To date only 6 clubs have not paid 2010 dues. Budget report was handed out to trustees and the expenses for $1000.00 from the Meridian Valley Championship were questioned. It was discussed and Merrily explained she would cover that question with Sharon Falkner. Trustees were asked to submit all expenses (receipts for engraving, etc.) Before the end of December 2009.
Our yearly donation to WJGA was much appreciated.
Past Presidents Report
Barbara Lindahl and Diane Anderson gave a synopsis of the event and focused discussion on items that will assist the next tournament committee. Those items included notebook(s) for the head pro, general manger, etc. In the past the notebook has just be for the tournament chair and all the information can be overwhelming for one person. Diane also suggested that the past tournament chair meet with the incoming tournament chair and president to discuss probables and potentials. Diane also pointed out that it is likely that hosting clubs will need $5K- $7K to cover club costs for overtime pay of the staffs when a club is hosting.Useless Bay added wait staff and pro shop staff for the week. Additionally there were upgrades to the Trustees' dinner, and volunteer costs were compensated out of the above budget.Useless Bay conducted many garage sales to raise money for the event. TPP software was used but it was not remarkably faster or easier to use than the current excel program used by WSWGA.
Patty Dice from Oakbrook shared that approximately $7k was raised to cover the 2008 tournament costs. Linda Warson asked about money needed for food and other costs as they prepare for hosting in 2016.
Senior Championship Report
Cindi Stewart gave the report for the 2009 sr. championship: there was a $125.00 entry fee and 115 participants. She suggested that future hostess buy prizes early and watch out for the cost of printing programs, etc. Grounds crew was treated to pizza on Monday afternoon; they are often forgotten and the pro shop staff remembered with $ and salutations. Also, Cindi advised pulling handicaps early to ensure accuracy and print the dress code and find easy way to enforce. TPP software was used for scoring but there was difficulty with sorting by age groups rather than handicaps. Cindi is working with Karen Gibbs, WSGA on how to incorporate that into the TPP software. There was again an issue with Dress Code violations during the Sr. event. Pace of Play was at 5+ hours, some players were lost and it was suggested a course map be added to the score card.
Leslie Folsom presented new information from the other state associations. New tournaments started by the WSGA (Parent/Child and Champions of Champions) have had a good first year. New championships for next year: Mid-Amateur Championships for Women and Men 25 years and over. Also, the WSGA Winter Series will begin in January.
1. Discussion about purchasing new trophies for home course competitions (Match vs. Par, Elizabeth Dwan) and replacing the Paula Nelson Trophy.
Katherine Hinzel, Olympia GCC
2. Should Trustee meeting be in spring or fall? Discussion centered on the history of the meetings and the trustees reached consensus that the Executive secretary would develop regions throughout the state and trustees in each region would meet on an as needed basis and to conduct a start to season kick-off meeting in their regions. This will be on a trial basis for 2010 and be revisited in the fall of 2010.
Election of Executive Secretary
Motion: It was moved that Jane Harris be elected for another 4 year term as Executive Secretary. Motion carries.
2010 will be posted on the WSWGA website.
Dress Code Enforcement cover issues of Trustee enforcement prior to the events. It was moved that entry forms will now include an area related to the dress code that ask the participant to sign that she understands the dress code and if in violation of the WSWGA policy during a round will be disqualified from the event. The current WSWGA dress code policy in the association bylaws will be used and if the host clubs policies are more restrictive the participants will be expected to follow the host clubs policy.
Meeting was adjourned at 11:55 am
2015 Executive Board
Sharon Johnston, President
Eleanor Delvin , Vice President
Sarah Michelson, Treasurer
Beth Chew, Executive Secretary
2015 WSWGA Trustees
Charlie Gele, Bear Creek
Carlotta Jarratt, Bellingham
Joanie Hannah, Broadmoor
Ellen Hedglin, Canterwood
Dee Hanich, Everett
Kristi Helmersen, Fairwood
Sharon Johnston, Fircrest
Porsche Everson, Glen Acres
MJ Houtrouw, Glendale
Gretchen Klein, Grays Harbor
Chris Hogan, Inglewood
Jan Bogle, Kitsap
Donna Clark, Lakeview
Barbara Kievat, Linden
Chris Studley, Longview
Kim Cutsforth, Meadow Springs
Linda Selegue, Meridian Valley
Malena Pontious, Mill Creek
JoAnn Osborn, Olympia
Mary O'Donnell, Overlake
Susan Goddard, Rainier
Eleanor Devlin, Sahalee
Ann Swanson, Sand Point
Reenie Munger, Seattle
Jennie Stephens, Skagit
Kay Love, Tacoma
Rita Keough, Twin Lakes
Penny Knowles, Useless Bay
Sarah Michelson, Walla Walla
Pat Terry, Wenatchee
Monica Boegl, Wing Point
Cindi Stewart, Yakima
Nancy Eglin, Yakima Elks